Sunday, June 19, 2011

Surprise!

"I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, if we follow the truth, it will bring us out safe at last."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson



Day 13 Assignment: Surprise by Ashley Ambirge

Think of a time when you didn’t think you were capable of doing something, but then surprised yourself.  How will you surprise yourself this week?


This week I want to work on my imagery. I know that "Where there is no vision, the people perish." I think that too often we start out with a vision, but as the days, weeks, months and years go by, the colors begin to fade and we develop little chips in the paint and snags in the fabric of our dreams. We allow the world view and our current circumstances to drain the life and the hope out of our visions.

So many of my writings and posts seem to revolved around focus. But I honestly believe it is one of the most critical components necessary for our success in any are of our lives -- mental, emotional, physical, material, spiritual...

God's Word is full of examples and promises regarding focus.

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."
~Joshua 1:8

One of my favorite stories, and a great example on the importance of focus, is the story of Jesus walking on the water. When he told Peter to come, Peter stepped out of the boat and onto the surface of the lake and walked on the water toward Jesus. He actually did it! I don't know about you, but if I step out of a boat I'm going to sink immediately. I won't walk on water for even a couple of steps. Peter walked on water. But what happened? We are told that he "saw the wind" and began to sink. The wind didn't just suddenly come up. It was blowing when Peter first stepped out of the boat. So, what changed? Peter took his eyes off Jesus and looked at his circumstances. The moment he lost his focus, he began to sink. 

So, this week, I will surprise myself with my laser-like focus on what God's Word says about me instead of what things in the world and my circumstances look like.

It's going to be an amazing week!

#Trust30 Day Thirteen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.