Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Courage to Connect

"Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment." 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Day 23 Assignment: Courage to Connect by David Spinks

Who is one person that you’ve been dying to connect with, but just haven’t had the courage to reach out to? First, reflect on why you want to get in touch with them. Then, reach out and set up a meeting.

Wow! Honestly? I can't think of anyone. First of all, I wouldn't say I'm "dying" to connect with anyone. That would be speaking death. Now, I might say that I would really love to meet someone... but again, I'm not sure who that would be.



Also, I can't say that there's anyone I haven't had the courage to reach out to. Maybe I just don't have lofty enough goals?

So many of the people I would have liked to have met are historical and simply aren't alive anymore.

I'm not a TV watcher, so I don't even know who is considered popular right now. I supposed there are some business people and Christian authors that I wouldn't mind meeting. But no one that I feel a burning desire to meet.

Now, if you had asked me this question 2 or 3 decades ago, I probably could have given you a list. All of them would have been silly. Many of them would be completely unknown today. And I doubt that I would have derived any benefit from such a meeting if it had occurred.

There are a couple of authors I enjoy reading and would probably take advantage of an opportunity to meet with them if it presented itself. I really like Dave Ramsey. I enjoy his no holds barred, irreverent approach to people looking for financial help. If you don't want to hear the truth, stay away from this man. He doesn't hold any of his punches. But, I like that kind of honesty.

Another author I really enjoy is Seth Godin. I think he has a brilliant mind when it comes to business and marketing. Now, I will admit that I thought some of his books were redundant rehashes of previously written books and blog posts. But, overall, I find him stimulating and highly quotable.

A couple of internet marketers I enjoy following and learning from are Daegan Smith and Sandi Krakowski. Both of them give away an incredible amount of information and training for free. Now, of course they are hoping you'll also buy products from them, after all, that's how they make their living. But, I don't have a problem with that at all. I think they are worth every penny.

I guess I could throw in a singer or two. I listen to Christian music pretty exclusively. One of my favorite praise and worship leaders is Chris Tomlin. I think it would be great to spend an afternoon just hanging out, breaking bread together, chatting, singing...

I'm probably a little different from most people, but what interests me most is reality (and by that I don't mean reality TV!) I'm most interested in meeting real, authentic people. People who aren't super humans, or idols... but the real deal. You know, the women who actually look like they have bad hair days, don't freak out when they break a nail, and sometimes have some gardening dirt under them too! People who have good days and bad, good characteristics and things they are still working on, people who want to make a difference (even if a small one)...

I will admit a preferential bias to people who are upbeat most of the time, and to people who recognize that there is a God and they aren't Him! (Thanks, Tim Brooks, for that very quotable saying!) Now, that isn't to say that I don't have some friends who aren't Christian. But, they are definitely the minority in my life.

Not sure what the Emerson quote at the beginning of the prompt has to do with the rest of the assignment, although I find it interesting that my post has somehow gotten around to that thought process.

Why do I prefer upbeat Christians as friends? I agree with Emerson that it isn't just the overt actions that show our true colors. Often you can see best what a person is really like by looking at all of the small actions that make up the whole. When you step back, you gain perspective that just isn't there when you look at one great act.

#Trust30 Day Twenty Three

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.