Tuesday, June 7, 2011

15 Minutes to Live

We are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other. Our age yields no great and perfect persons. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm participating in the #Trust30 Challenge. For the next 30 days, I have committed to write something based on a prompt supplied by "an original thinker."  True to form, I'm starting late. ;o)  The challenge actually began on May 31st. But, I will tackle the topics in order. If I feel incredibly energetic, I may attempt to respond to more than one in a day.

The first prompt was as follows:

Day 1 Assignment by Gwen Bell


You just discovered you have fifteen minutes to live.


1. Set a timer for fifteen minutes.
2. Write the story that has to be written.


Here is my offering:

The story that has to be written...

What a difficult task. I think of my own life... puny, insignificant, full of errors and failures... Is there anything in my life that is truly worth putting in writing?  

Then I think about how no matter how insignificant I think I am; no matter how much I feel I have failed to accomplish anything worthwhile; no matter how few accomplishments I feel I have achieved in my life thus far; one thing I know: I was worthwhile enough for God, the Creator of the Universe and all that is in it, to send His only son to die in my place so that I could live.

God must have thought I was pretty special.

I can't imagine giving up my only son to save another -- especially one with seemingly so few redeeming qualities. Who would give up their own child, perfect in every way, to save an imperfect, ungrateful, disobedient creature?

Frances Chan calls it a "Crazy Love."  I think there is somne truth to that, at least from our human, mortal viewpoint. Certainly if any of us behaved with the incredible love and patience and grace that has been extended to us, we would be seen as and called crazy by those around us.

In fact, when we do try to follow the Great Example, Jesus, we are often called crazy.

For God so loved the world. 

What would it take to develop that kind of love for my fellow humans here on this planet? To love even though that love is not returned; to love in spite of being tortured and crucified. 

Amazing love indeed.

The story that must be told is not my own, although I have a bit part in the tale. It is an ancient story.  One that I can't really improve on. One that is told in detail in the best selling book of all time: the bible. It's an amazing love story about a species of creatures who rejected their maker, yet he loved them anyway. 

Although it took thousands of years, their loving Father carefully laid the plans that would save the lives of his creations, and would open the door to bring them back into loving relationship with him. 

It's an exciting story that spans generations, and tells about the lives of kings, queens, prostitutes, shepherds, carpenters and virgins. There are fierce battles and amazing victories. There are simple stories of daily life and amazing tales of miracles performed.

It is a story that will make you laugh, cheer, cry, experience incredible gratitude and will drive you to your knees in worship. It is a timeless story that has been and must continue to be repeated.

And, it has the best "happily ever after" ending ever! I've read the end of the story. We win! It's a story of salvation, redemption and triumph.

It's everyone's story.

It's the Greatest Story Ever Told.

If you have never heard the story, please contact me. I'd love to share it with you. I can guarantee you that it will forever change your life both here, and in the hereafter.

#Trust30 Day One

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.