Friday, June 24, 2011

Dreams

"Abide in the simple and noble regions of thy life, obey thy heart." 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Day 18 Assignment: Dreams by Michael Rad

Write down your top three dreams. Now write down what’s holding you back from them.

Dream #1 - A simple, peaceful life
Dream #2 - A beautiful, peaceful home
Dream #3 - A business of my own



A simple, peaceful life
As much as I would like to say, "I'll be able to have this when..." I know that in all honesty, the only thing holding me back from a simple peaceful life right now is me. Even though I have a lot of pressure, obligations, and distractions in my life, ultimately we control our feelings and emotions. If I allow circumstances to upset me (like I did this afternoon when I found out that my car STILL wasn't ready after almost 4 months!) it is my choice. I could instead choose to feel differently.

Most of the pressures, obligations and distractions in my life are also my own choice. No one forced me into my circumstances. I freely chose the life I'm living and can, at any time, take steps to simplify my life by getting rid of some of my obligations. Yes, there are some responsibilities that come with being a grownup. But, I have a bad habit of over-filling my late.

A beautiful, peaceful home
Time and money are the two main issues holding me back here. Of course, there are things I can do on the cheap and for free. And, if I take care of my over-commitment that's holding me back on Dream #1, then I should have plenty of time to work on beautifying my home. As for peacefulness, eliminating over-commitment will help there, but truly, peace is a choice. I can accept my present circumstances and work my way through them peacefully, or I can get upset and stressed and not experience peace.

A business of my own
I'm working on this one but, again, time and energy is a factor. Eliminating distractions, again, would give me more time to devote to fulfilling this dream.

Sounds like I've come back full circle to my post-it note prompt: over-commitment. Obviously a big focus for me needs to be reducing my obligations by completing and/or releasing commitments, and then not taking on more!

Obviously, I'm craving peace... something that's difficult to experience when you are always rushing from one thing to the next and don't have enough hours in the day to accomplish everything you think you need to do.

In the meantime, I need to keep my mind focused on God and remember that whenever I start to feel upset about my circumstances, that all I have to do is shift my focus back to my Provider and trust in Him to make everything right with my world.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee." 
~ Isaiah 26:3

#Trust30 Day Eighteen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.